Valmacca’s History

The written history of Valmacca began in 964 AD as an estate of Signori di Cavaglià family who were vassals to the Bishop of Vercelli and Milano. Recurrent fights with the Monferrato Marquises went on until the powerful Palelogi Family handed Valmacca to the Cavaglià’s estate, in exchange for other lands. From the middle of the 16th century different families joined the Cavaglià family as rulers of the estate including the Rota, Montiglio, Sannazzaro, Scozia, Coppa, Zanetti families. During the 17th century French and Spanish invaders conquered and ruled the region. In the 18th century Valmacca and the entire Monferrato region up to the Sesia river became part of the Savoia kingdom. In 1773 Carlo Emanuele di Savoia proclaimed Valmacca and its hamlet a municipality. Important rulers under the Savoia during the following century were the count Gazzone di Rosignano and the Marquis Francesco Maria Scozia di Galliano. During the 19th century Valmacca became initially a part of the diocese of the town of Alessandria but subsequently changed to diocese of the town of Casale Monferrato.

Valmacca’s Town Hall, the castle already existing under Federico II, was rehashed during the fighting years but it is correct to say it gained the today’s look around 1355. It is a massive rectangular block with no towers; the windows at that time were one round arch opening but nowadays they are a two pointed arch opening with a little stone column in the middle.

The village church was consecrated by the famous archbishop of Milano, Federico Borromeo the 24th of june 1605 and dedicated to Maria as the Milano cathedral itself.

During the 19th century the castle was uninhabited. In 1920 Don Emilio Guasco the son of the Marquis Tarsilla di Bisio Scozia, received it as inheritance and in 1925 he donated it to the municipality to became the new elementary school and the town hall. It is interesting that some of the ancient family names of Valmacca’s landlords remain in the ones still in use in the village nowadays.